Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Kind Prayers

I agree with my brother Paul, I think at first its planned then it integrates into your heart and becomes a way of life. If it ever becomes a chore don’t do it.

We need to follow our hearts on this one not the crowd, I do believe its Gods heart that we are following.

Anyway is that were it should end, just being kind? I mean its not a bad place to end but I do feel there has to be more.

As a Christian I want to offer spiritual kindness and going back to the “blessing not selling” vibe, I feel the added dimension to acts of kindness is a willingness to ask people if we can pray with them. I have been daring people to pray with others. Heres an extract from an email a friend of mine sent to me after I dared her to pray with someone as the next step in expressing kindness:

There is a lady at work called Dee (not real name!), her Dad is really ill in hospital and Dee has been travelling backwards and forwards to Coventry because her Dad cannot be transferred to our local hospital yet. Dee was saying how it just seems to be one thing after another and now the hospital think they have found something else and won't tell Dee until they see her on Friday. Dee has really had enough. So, I said "can I suggest something, it might seem a bit strange, but can I pray for you now?" Dee said "Yes, that would be really nice!" so, we prayed and afterwards she said that that was really kind and she really appreciated it!! WOW. It seemed a huge step to actually do this in my workplace but it was totally amazing!

I hadn't asked anyone else and the first person I asked said YES!

Thanks for the dare!! Maybe I'll try it again.


This is the next level, it’s not praying to convert it’s praying because we know God listens. It’s not even using prayer as an evangelistic tool.

It’s about kindness, pure simple kindness and yes somewhere in that whole moment, that exchange between Dee and my friend, a divine being gets invited into the mix. God himself gets put on the spot, it’s over to Him to make something happen. I like that because it means we have to have trust and faith that he can do something.

Pray for people it’s one of the kindest things you can do for them.

But don’t forget, James said:
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

No comments: