Friday, December 14, 2007

Drugs


Does anybody else like Frank Zappa? When I was younger two of my favourite albums where Sheik Yerbouti and Joes Garage. My friend Joe actually had a garage he painted Joes Garage on the front, at the time it seemed funny. We used to smoke a lot of weed and listen to Frank although the man himself was against recreational drugs!

Frank Zappas kids have got the best names in the world; Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Emuukha Rodan and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. Mr Zappa died in 1993 read more about him here.

Anyway back to drug use! I was having a conversation with my son last night with relation to drugs. I guess when it comes to drugs we can relate our own experiences and also educate. I tried a number of drugs back in the late 80's; cannabis, cocaine, speed, poppers, LSD and ecstasy. I predominantly smoked cannabis, everyday for at least 2 years. I had some good times on drugs and also some bad times on drugs. Reasons I took drugs: Everyone else was, it was cheaper than beer, I wanted to kick against my upbringing, they were fun, I needed to escape.

Specifically with cannabis I liked the fact that I could put my head on my pillow at night and my mind would just be black and blank

Being a little mentally unstable became my undoing in the end. I stopped talking and became very paranoid. I started to make irrational decisions and ended up doing some stupid things, I hurt people I loved and also hurt myself. I attribute my drug use to my eventual incarceration in prison.

So what do I think of drugs today? well, I am not in favour of recreational drug use a bit like Frank. I will not judge drug users, actually I know quite a few. I will not remove myself from an environment where drugs are being taken. I believe that education is the key, I am not a "just say no" man when it comes to education. I want to see people who have made the choice to take drugs take them safely. I believe people need to be properly informed as to the physical, psychological and relational impact of drug use. I also believe in the law, if something is illegal we shouldn't do it. The evidence would suggest that drug use is damaging. The most damaging drug that causes the most deaths is alcohol, then I also have to ask myself about caffeine and nicotine!

I read this today about steroid use in US Baseball thats a whole over realm of drug use! Steroids....

What would you do if cannabis was made legal?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are incredibly honest and it is so refreshing to read your blog. this is true gospel stuff. keep on in there, the world needs you and you are doing what most don't have the guts to do!

Karenkool said...

If cannabis were made legal I may start some kind of protest--burning bras and such! It's already an issue trying to wreck my kid's life--and even that's without being legalized. It almost wrecked mine when I was a teen, as well. Smoking the weed doesn't seem so harmful... but maybe that's what makes it so dangerous.

Tanya Heasley said...

I agree with what kiwipaddy wrote. Great post Brian.

Other than peer pressure or experimentation, I believe some drug taking can be a form of self harming and used as an escape goat to dealing with a past, presant or personl issue.

I'm not for or against legalising cannabis, but I am concerned that with addition to smoking and drinking too much alcohol (other possible forms of self harming) will legalising cannabis create another escape goat to dealing with issues?

I guess anything in moderation is ok as long as we don't allow it to become our master.