Essential ingredients for well-functioning third places:
- They must be free or quite inexpensive.
- Food and drink, though not absolutely essential, are important factors.
- They must be highly accessible to neighbourhoods so that people find it easy to make the place part of their regular routine.
- A lot of people should be able to comfortably walk to the place from their home.
- They should be places where a number of people regularly go on a daily basis.
- They should be places where people feel welcome and comfortable and where it is easy to enter into conversation.
- A person should expect to find old and new friends on each trip to the place.
Frost says: "You can understand why businesses such as Starbucks have latched on to this concept. They have invested greatly in seeking to be a third place for American culture, knowing that it can be very lucrative for a business to be seen this way."