I am with Chris, who commented this morning, he said
"The way 3rd places were presented to me just turned me off. My community is full of coffee shops and pubs. Why can't we just go there?
We end up creating something that is well meaning but unfortunately just a bit rubbish. (like some Christian music).
It sounds like a good idea, but why not just go for a coffee with your pals? Why do we have to make a christian "3rd place"? "
1. I was going to do a little summary this morning and the first thing I was going to say was "if at all possible go to existing third places"
2. If we are going to create a third place we need to it well, I have seen some great third places created by churches, but they have top quality venues that are run by professionals, designed by creative people and have a distinct lack of donated second hand furniture and cheesy music.
3. Church will have to change the way it is structured if we are actually going to find the time to regularly hang out with pals at an existing third place.
4. I think that the church is full of gifted people who if they really had the freedom to let their creative juices flow could create wonderful third places.
5. Third places are not the only way, I have enjoyed looking at this particular aspect of missional living but do realise that God paints on a very broad canvas. There is more than one way.
6. We need to hang out in places with people frequently, frequency is the key.
7. We need to enjoy it, don't treat it as a project, just enjoy hanging out with people.