Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Distraction


I love reading, I don't think you can have too many books. I love the smell and feel of books which is why I will probably never have a kindle

Don't know how I managed to accidentally put 52 books up yesterday as a non existent blog post! I was thinking about reading 52 books in a year like Carla and Alana but in all honesty I find that reading books at times can be a distraction!

I have already read 3 books this year and I read all the time. On a personal level I can't read novels without getting engrossed in them which in turn affects how much I read my bible etc... books affect my spiritual discipline.

Ok I read a lot but they tend to be christian books or historical factual books, I enjoy them because I find them much easier to dip in and out of and also to put down.

I don't like a lot of the snobbery that goes around book reading, I doubt people leaving lists on their blogs would put up trashy novels.

I have also come across christians who read so many books on church theory and christian practice that they have ceased to think for themselves with regards their own spirituality and outworking of christian community. There are many wise men we can learn from out there but we must also think for ourselves.

My personal belief is that Christians should read the bible all the way through at least once a year, and all the gospels at least 4 times each a year.

So I won't be posting a list of my 52 books this year, although I have a feeling that I probably will read that many books.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

1 comment:

Tanya Heasley said...

I like picture books.