Thursday, March 16, 2006

EMINEM AND SHAKESPEARE

I have been listening to the Eminem song "Lose Yourself" I love that film 8mile

The opening line of the song is this:

"Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity,
to sieze everything you ever wanted,
one moment,
would you capture it,
or just let it slip"


I heard this great quote at the weekend from Shakespeares Julius Ceasar, Act 4 scene 3, actually I have just read the whole play I really enjoyed it.I thought reading a play would be boring but it's actually really well written, all you English students will be saying "tell me something I didn't know". I am going to read more Shakespeare.

Heres the quote:

There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted all the voyages of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.


I think they are both saying the same thing.

Maybe prophetically they are telling us something about this moment in time that we have to shape something new in our culture

Did anyone ever read my "Japanese tranvestite" post? Look in October 2005.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm going to pledge to read at least 1 shakespeare play by the end of year on your recommendation. ta

just read Jap Tranny post, started laughing, wondered at your sanity, tried not to think about hairy men in school uniform. Then realised that thats probably the whole point, we are trained to block from our thoughts, our sight even, those we dont understand or we find offensive.