Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Swear words


Is feck an acceptable word?

James Joyce used it 'They had fecked cash out of the rector's room.' James Joyce, Portrait of the Artist, in this case it means they stole.

It is not uncommon for school teachers and some members of the religious order to use the word 'feck' as an expletive in Ireland thus demonstrating the word's peculiarity in meaning to Ireland where it does not equate to the word 'f**k' as many people outside Ireland tend to think. This is from wikipedia.

When does language become wrong?

One thing I have observed is that people notice if you don't swear.

I believe that you shouldn't swear in front of people if you think it will offend them.

I was reading this in 2 Kings 18:27, "But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?"

Obviously at some point piss was an acceptable word but now it's not one I would let my children use!

Where did it all go wrong for piss?

I worked with a woman who used to say "oh fish" when things went wrong, I am looking forward to the day fish becomes a swear word....

5 comments:

Gary said...

Of course, the KJV also speaks of they 'that pisseth against the wall' - 1 Sam 25:22, 34; 1 Kings 14:10; 1 Kings 16:11; 1 Kings 21:21; 2 Kings 9:8.

On one of the blogs I read they had a link to a preacher in America preaching on one of those passages. He declares that he pisses against the wall too.

Pity he doesn't use the toilet... Anyway, here's the link for anyone interested - http://youtube.com/watch?v=SDxcyqeRc-4

Globegirl said...

When I was little the most offensive thing my sisters and I could call each other was "dodo-head". That would instantly cause the victim to burst into tears and run to mom. :-)

john heasley said...

Discussed this at our small group the other day, decided no one says flippin eck more than Albert.

Anonymous said...

Someone once said to me that saying Flip was the same as saying F**k. Yet when I then said F**k they got offended and decided it wasn't really quite the same after all.

sam mooney said...

nice one steve