Saturday, March 15, 2008

Random thoughts

When we came here we initially said 3 to 5 years, the reality is we will be here longer than that. It's like the Oracle in the Matrix, sometimes I think God tells you what you need to hear to get to the next step, then when you get there you realise it was probably only the first step.

We came to here to establish a viable work in the westend of San Antonio something that spread the kindness and love of God in a non religious and non judgemental way. I believe we are doing that, it will grow but we are doing it.

The room we now have will have an xbox zone, a conversation zone, a computer zone and a prayer room hopefully it will be more affective than last year as a place for summer seasonal workers to come and get support, help and kindness. Yes there are money pressures but we do have a conviction that we are doing here is right.

With 7 summer teams coming for 2 weeks each we should be able to walk the streets in more numbers than ever before, with probably 5 or 6 summer long (people coming for a month or more) team members we should be able to build stronger more caring relationships.

7 weeks to get ready, I feel energised and stressed all at the same time, but thats okay.

We have a new permanent member joining us in April, Bruce Gardener Crehan is from England he has decided to come for 3 years and help us build here, we like him a lot, he's a great cook, a DJ and general all round good guy. He will do well here.

Been reading Joshua in the Bible this week, it's a grim account of a people possessing a land. I don't understand it all but there are lessons to be learnt in it for anyone moving to new country. Here's a few that struck me:

1. Be Courageous,
2. Be Relentless,
3. Keep talking to God,
4. Be foccussed,
5. Remember there is more than one right answer,
6. Moving is hard but rewarding,
7. You learn more when you are uncomfortable than you do when you are comfortable

1 comment:

resa said...

You wrote:
I think God tells you what you need to hear to get to the next step, then when you get there you realise it was probably only the first step....

This is SO true. I would never have said in the beginning I'd be in Sweden for at least 5 years... It's already been three (this week) and I don't see us going anywhere for at least 2-5 years more.

I would have freaked. Or cried or just said no. He knows what I could handle. He also has had time to open my eyes to some things I didn't see before. Good thing he knows the plan...

Love following your journey.