Saturday, April 25, 2009

Computer dependent


I am old enough to remember the days before PC's, I actually remember my friend getting a ZX spectrum. You uploaded programs using a tape recorder. I still remember the noise it made. I was also one of these people who thought mobile phones were poncy and that I would never own one.... oh how wrong I was.

I love my Mac, not in an over zealous I hate PC's kind of way. I have just been amazed by it's durability and longevity it is over 3 years old and only in the last month has it really started to slow down, but i wish it had rubbery keys like the Spectrum.

I am wondering if I should just clean it up and try to make it faster, or maybe buy a spectrum.

The battery life has also gone down to about 10 minutes, the hinges are slightly damaged but other than that it is the apple of my eye.

The only problem will be replacing it, they just aren't as cheap as PC's..... I may have to go back across the Jordan and get a PC.

Although I am wondering about Ebay or finding a refurb one or bargain basement one online.

We've moved from a time of no home computers to an age where the computer keeps us connected, I am wondering if I could start letter writing as this is a forgotten art form, it would probably hurt my wrist.


Read this by Kimberly S Young

1. Do you feel preoccupied with the Internet (think about previous on-line activity or anticipate next on-line session)?
2. Do you feel the need to use the Internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
3. Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop Internet use?
4. Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop Internet use?
5. Do you stay on-line longer than originally intended?
6. Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the Internet?
7. Have you lied to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the Internet?
8. Do you use the Internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a dysphoric mood (e.g., feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, depression)?

If you answer yes to 5 of these questions you could be computer dependent, I don't think I am although I would seriously miss my Mac!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm - very interesting!