Thursday, August 26, 2010

When I grow up I want to be a prostitute


The charger on my lap top is broken which means I can't use it at the moment.

The brake lights on the back of my car all stopped working which meant it has been in the garage until this morning.

Minor problems that are easy to work around. I see many more extreme examples of brokeness. The brokeness that people experience.

These last few weeks I have been reminded of brokeness amidst beauty. All the people we meet and work with in one way or another are beautiful, yet they are broken.

We all have areas of brokeness, what do we choose to focus on? The brokeness or the beauty?

These young prostitutes we have befriended are broken but beautiful. They are mothers, they are sisters, they are someones daughter. They love to sing, they love to laugh. Yet they sell sex, and I am pretty sure some of them robb people. But what do we do? Do we focus on the brokeness or the beauty?

Last week we had 10 of these ladies at our Sunday service a few weeks ago 15 of them turned up. As they have got to know the songs they sing louder, as they have got to know us they now pop into the centre not just for condoms, but to hang out and use facebook! One even comes along to sing and practice songs with one of our workers.

At the moment we feel like we are on a stumbling journey with these ladies, but I see beauty in their brokeness.

I have said this before when they were children not one of these girls ever thought "When I grow up I want to be a prostitute"

No comments: