Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I am not an art critic, never have been. I would have loved to study history of art and I do enjoy painting. When I was younger I studied art at college but got asked to leave!!!

But I find that Art speaks to us, or artists speak to us through their art. I love the fact that we can all have a different interpretation of the same piece of art.

Egon was a very gifted artist he died young and had some mentoring from Gustav Klimt and they were friends, he died of influenza in 1918 aged 28.

What I like about his work is that I feel he paints it as it is. He actually reacted a lot agaisnt main stream art at one point likening it to potyomkin villages.

According to the myth, there were fake settlements purportedly erected at the direction of Russian minister Grigory Potyomkin to fool Empress Catherine II during her visit to Crimea in 1787. According to this story, Potyomkin, who led the Crimean military campaign, had hollow facades of villages constructed along the desolate banks of the Dnieper River in order to impress the monarch and her travel party with the value of her new conquests, thus enhancing his standing in the empress' eyes.

I feel that much of todays culture is like this, hollow facades!!!

No comments: