Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Themes for prayer


I often say to myself when I am getting a bit bored praying "You should never be short of themes for prayer.". I just need to engage my brain a bit more and think before i disengage from prayer.

There always sick amongst us, there are those who are going through trials and hard times, there is your family, your friends, your town, your neighbours, your nation, other nations, watch the news, read a news paper. Plenty to be getting on with....

The priestly garments

Exodus 28: 11 – 12 Engrave the names of the sons of Israel on the two stones the way a gem cutter engraves a seal. Then mount the stones in gold filigree settings and fasten them on the shoulder pieces of the ephod as memorial stones for the sons of Israel. Aaron is to bear the names on his shoulders as a memorial before the LORD.

We need to carry people on our shoulders in prayer.....

Exodus 28: 29 Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breastpiece of decision as a continuing memorial before the LORD.

We need to have people over our hearts when we pray.....

What’s the difference between the heart and the shoulders? Over the heart and on the shoulders? Your shoulders are strong and can take it, your heart is soft and feels it.

If you solely carry people on your shoulders it is just a function, if you carry them on your heart as well it is a life long call.

“Let my heart be broken with the things that break God’s heart” Bob Pierce. The heart to me suggest compassion.

I've been keeping a book, writing peoples names in it, and using it in my prayer times.I don't know about you but I would often say to people that I would pray for them but forget to do it, or offer up some bland thought prayer when they entered my mind and I felt guilty! I keep a book so that i do what I say I will do. This is so when people ask you to pray for them you keep your word, you get to be a part in a secret history. You can say to people with assurance “I will pray for you” Over the last few months i have in many ways crafted prayers for individuals, added little bits etc... and it's really helped me. I'm not saying any of this to show off, just found it helpful and wanted to share it.

I also keep a journal, I use it as God speaks to me from the bible, through nature or other random happenings. I write little quotes in it, prayers of repentance in it, stick things in it whatever really and it helps me.

Once I engage my brain I don't struggle so much for themes, I love painted prayers, I love meditating on objects with God in mind, I enjoy mulling over a bible verse in prayer, etc, etc.....

No comments: