Thursday, May 07, 2009

Eggs


I know a lot of people live this way but I was very excited to eat my boiled egg this morning. The reason being that on Tuesday we got 6 chickens!!!! I stole the pic from helens blog, by the way we have discovered chickens don't like onions. They are doing ok when you move chickens it takes them a little while to start laying again so yesterday we only got two eggs, and I have eaten one. I don't think we will give the birds names, they are not pets.

They seem quite happy mincing about in their home, I have to get some fencing so that they can have an outdoor run, however the outbuilding they are in right now is very large and they have loads of space and lots of sunlight. The problem with the fencing is that I have to make it dog proof, my dog wants to eat the chickens and I don't think I can train it out of him. So I need to raise about 300 euros to get a good fence!!!!

We also have Clare and Christine with us who have joined to help us for the summer, Christine is here for 6 months and Clare is here for two months, our household has got larger which is fun. The girls went out on the street with Tracy and Bruce last night, they had a good time, it's still very quiet, but good conversations are being had.

I like this quote by C.S.Lewis “It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad.”

My egg tasted fantastic, much bigger than a supermarket egg, and no writing on the side.

1 comment:

Sophie Underwood said...

Our Chickens have recently started laying eggs too! it is very exciting! :)