Monday, May 23, 2011

Jump Right In


I was mentored by a guy who said "He who hesitates has lost"  I like that

I have been listening to the Eminem song "Lose Yourself" from the film 8 mile, I think Eminem is a poet of some note.

The opening line of the song is this: 

"Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity,
to sieze everything you ever wanted,
one moment,
would you capture it,
or just let it slip"


There is another similar quote in Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar, Act 4 scene 3:

There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted all the voyages of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.


They are both saying the same thing.

Maybe prophetically they are telling us something about moments in time. Those moments where we hesitate when we should really jump in.  Those moments were we find fear replacing our desire to risk, to live, to embrace the moment and go for it.


Ask yourself "Whats the worst that could happen?" remind yourself "you only live once" think to yourself "How would I feel in a years time if I didn't do this?"


Life's for living, not for waiting.


Jump right in.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I studied Julius Ceasar in school, I wrote a paper comparing Shakespeare's themes in the play and Eminem lyrics. I love Eminem and saw the similarities while reading the play. When I mentioned it in class, the teacher said rap lyrics had little cultural value. So, I wrote a paper about it. I used "Lose Yourself" and I think I may have used the same Julius Ceasar quote.

All that to say, great post!

Tanya Heasley said...

I really like it and I often see myself as a mushroom eater, a risk taker, but over the past couple years there have been a few opportunities that seem scary but life changing that I haven't jumped straight into because it will effect my family too much, so I have let them slip by.

Sometimes jumping straight in isn't always possible even though I'm waiting on the top board ready to do a dive bomb straight into it.